Swiss Army Knives and Swiss Cutlery made by Victorinox are highly durable, quality tools that can last a lifetime with appropriate care.
Cleaning your Swiss Army Knife
Over time, Swiss army knives can stiffen from debris and dirt collected on the hinges. Some chemicals and foods, when left on the tool for too long, can damage the steel. You must clean your knife after use and periodically to keep it working properly.
How to clean your Swiss Army Knife:
- Wipe off the surface of the blades and other tools with cloth and denatured alcohol, found at most pharmacies of grocery stores. You may also repeatedly dip the tool it into the denatured alcohol to loosen debris. Be sure to use denatured alcohol instead of rubbing alcohol because it evaporates faster, and shouldn’t hurt the scales of the blade.
- Use a Q-tip and tooth pick topped with denatured alcohol to extract any additional debris from the hinges. A can of compressed air can also be useful.
- Apply one drop of light oil on the hinges to keep your Swiss Army knife opening smoothly. Do not use to much oil! One small drop goes a long way.
A clean Swiss Army knife will prolong the life of your knife!
Sharpening your Victorinox Blade
It is very important to keep your Swiss Army knives sharp. You don’t want your knife it to be dull when you try to use them! Victorinox recommends using a sharpening steel to properly complete this task.
How to sharpen your Swiss Army Knife:
- Hold the sharpening steel firmly in your left hand (if you are right handed) and the knife in your right.
- When you sharpen your Swiss Army knives, make sure to always hold the knife so that the blade faces away from you, and keep your fingers out of the blade’s path.
- Starting at the base of your Swiss Army knife, position the blade at a 20 degree angle off the sharpening steel.
- Apply light pressure; scrape the edge of the blade across the sharpening tool in a semi-circle motion.
- Sharpen both sides equally: Scrape once on one side, then once on the other. This even sharpening process will optimize get the blade sharper and prolong the life of the knife.
- Repeat this process until the blade is sharp. A well sharpened Swiss Army blade can easily slice through a sheet of paper.
Sharpen your Victorinox Swiss Army Knife as often as you see fit. Typically, you should sharpen once weekly for a heavily used blade, and Victorinox cutlery blades. If you only use your Swiss Army knife for camping, then be sure to sharpen it before the trip!